- Question: You sure do like your Interludes of Silliness, don't you?
- Hussie: Yes, the interlude is called MS Paint Adventures and has been running steadily for several years.
- Question: Is it Terry Pratchett's success that inspired you to pander to anime nerds?
- Hussie: Pratchett san and his family will be in my prayers during this troubling time for all the fine people of Japan.
- Question: Is it safe to say that "going grimdark" would be the opposite of becoming a rainbow drinker?
- Hussie: I don't know if it's the opposite, but it's obviously intended as an absurd transformation to specifically complement Kanaya's.
- "Going grimdark" is a phrase which itself is silly enough to qualify as a joke. The ramifications of such a transformation are surely on par with becoming a glowing Twilight-esque vampire called a rainbow drinker. And yet, silly though these developments are, no one can argue they are not awesome as well. The result is the magic which takes place when stupid meets badass.
- The whole "going grimdark" thing was something discussed by readers when Rose first started stirring things up with her dark magic. The whole issue was later lampooned somewhat in a conversation with John. In fact, practically every line of the recent updates have been callbacks to this conversation.
- http: //www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004823
- I found the point of controversy kind of funny. It makes one wonder, what does "going grimdark" even mean? Is that even a thing? I guess it is, as long as we understand that it probably refers to the metamorphosis of a vanilla character into a brooding gothic cliche, and this is something played absolutely straight in things which are generally terrible. Please note it is not being played straight in this case. [AND YET IT IS. WINK.]
- Also, who here is keeping tabs on super hero references??
- Rose's shirt has somewhat resembled the Punisher's logo for some time now, without any reason to link her to the vigilante. Let us now note the origin of the Punisher, a guy spurred to vengeance after watching his family get brutally murdered.
- Question: 'There has actually been a clue pointing to this for a very long time, "hidden" in the name of Dave's sword. Caledscratch.' Ok. so, who's Ed?
- Hussie: Your creepy uncle.
- Question: have you ever gone so far as ever to need more to do look more like?
- Hussie: YES
- Question: Mr. Hussie, I'm a huge fan of your work. You strike as somebody who's both very artistically talented any knowledgeable in literature and writing. Do you have any formal education in these subjects?
- Hussie: I have neither.
- I paid money to learn about computers approximately ten years ago.
Hand cannon, Autocannon, Falconet, Minion, Saker, Demi-culverin, Culverin Demi-cannon, Field gun, Howitzer, Mortar, Bombard, Basilisk.
By answering stupid questions. Every time I answer one I gain a bit more experience.
….you wouldn’t. D:
If I keep on getting experience and leveling up I hope that one day I will be able to evolve into my final form; ANDREWHUSSIE.
- Question: you're going to just have the scratch happen and then the next ==> link back to the first page of homestuck, aren't you? just have this endless loop of a recurring retcon, right? i mean, it WOULD be the ultimate way to troll the fanbase once and for all
- Hussie: I think the easiest way to address questions like this is to say, picture every possibility that is dumb and terrible. Those things are exactly what I am not going to do.
- Also, it's pretty amazing how often people misuse the term retcon. Almost as often as they misuse the word troll.
- Question: Did you know that 6/12/2011 will be the one solar sweep anniversary of Homestuck? (2.166666... earth years)
- Hussie: THAT'S PRETTY SWEET
- It will also be the 1 Earth year anniversary of Act 5.
what. i honestly don’t understand a word you just said.
but if you’re asking for a way to contact Andrew, I don’t know.
- Question: It occurs to many people here that the only way you could have had the ending completely planned out from the very beginning is if you always intended to do a reset. ...Especially considering that the trolls were supposed to be minor characters.
- Hussie: I don't know about having the ending planned from the beginning, but I can say that every time the scratch as been mentioned, and even earlier when it was referred to as the rift, I knew exactly what it was going to be.
- The concept of the reset, though heavily disguised until now, is a very old one, and is completely entangled with every aspect of the way the story has been constructed to this point.
- Question: I've come to really like Doc Scratch in a very short amount of time, and looking back I realize this is roughly what happens with the whole cast. Is there a specific way your formulate your characters that allows all of them to be so intensely enjoyable?
- Hussie: I don't have a formula for making likable characters. But I guess character development tends to help.
- With Scratch, I think one of the fun things about his recent developments is that they came on the heels of learning that he is part Cal. His identity as a creepy pervert wasn't exactly "set up" before this revelation. Not overtly. But if it was I think it would be less entertaining. We get to watch certain traits of his personality reveal themselves exactly when we now have reason to expect those traits. If he had them before it might have weakened the humor value of it now, even though it would have been more air tight from a characterization and plot construction standpoint. We didn't get to say "DIABOLICAL! So THAT'S why he's a perv!" But HS has enough of those eureka moments already for us to be worrying about that.
- Not that his developments are completely off the wall either. He was always a pretty self satisfied guy, with the demeanor of someone who could easily be a coy prankster, who just hadn't revealed those tendencies yet. Much of what he said had the feel of a knowitall who's just messing with someone. Also, he did only talk to the girls. With the exception of the one short line to Karkat. He manipulated them and mentored them in weird ways, and eventually one might ask, why all the attention on the ladies dude??? So turns out that's why, sort of. Of course the original reason was more pragmatic. It was just that of all the trolls, the ones most relevant and dynamic in the story tended to be girls, so that's who he talked to. But later, it struck me as a pretty amusing angle on an omniscient character to be a bit of a creeper, and this is in keeping with his origin.
- Remember where Cal came from in the first place? And why he was thrown out of Dave's dream tower?
- Question: Why were two entities needed to produce Doc Scratch when only one was needed for Bec? Is that just how it worked out, or is it to do with their session being bigger or something?
- Hussie: Dogs are pretty simple creatures.
- Take a look at what Jack tends to think about now.
yeah thats a good idea but i dont like it as much and i dont think it would really change things too much.
I could just change my ask box to “i am not andrew hussie” which is what it originally was although people still sent me stuff.
like, im not bothered by it.
i just feel guilty that people think im andrew and i cant answer their questions.
okay sorry im going to use this question to make something clear.
http://fennecat.tumblr.com/ this is the stupid person who runs this page.
http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/ this is andrew hussie.
fennecat = hussieformspring
fennecat =/= andrew hussie (unfortuantely)
so hussieformspring =/= andrew hussie
ive tried to make that really clear this is just an archiving thing but i still get a bunch of questions directed towards andrew hussie and i kind of feel like ive been misleading somewhere??
i guess now that he doesn’t use formspring anymore people dont know what it is.
imagine if i was actually a better admin and actually noticed when the queue on this ran out and then actually refilled it not after waiting 2 weeks.
in my defense, finals.
Cats have 9 lives.